A MESSAGE TO OUR COMMUNITY
Come along with us as we step out into the new era of technology. We trust that this website will enlighten you to the facets of all the works of the city. So, sit back and relax – read through the sections and discover the wealth of information available to you.
Most people would agree that Malakoff has a small town charm that enjoys all the essentials of a large town. Our community is friendly, laid back, and everybody knows everybody. With its commitment to wholesome outdoor activities; community parks, 1000 acre lake at the south end of the town is Cedar Creek Lake. Our school system is a Recognized District by the State of Texas for its Excellence.
Malakoff is a small town packed with antique dealers and has become known as the Best Bargain Shopping in Antiques in the state! It is the function of the City to provide the vital day to day services to its citizens, such as sanitation, water, sewer, streets, parks, library,building inspections, animal control, police and fire plus support functions to these services as well as planning and management.
The City of Malakoff (incorporated in 1948) is a municipal corporation under the laws of the State of Texas, operating as a Type A General Law City. The City Council is composed of the Mayor and five Council members and is the Legislative and policy making branch of the City government. The City Council appoints the City Administrator , who is accountable for the overall operation and management of the City.
The City of Malakoff is located in Henderson County and is located approximately 73 miles Southeast of Dallas, 28 miles east of Corsicana and 42 miles west of Tyler. It is best known as the Gateway to Cedar Creek Lake. Malakoff is located just 3 miles from Cedar Creek Lake and is west of Athens on Texas highway 31.
The population of Malakoff was 2,257 during the 2000 census. The Community is named after a Russian fort of Malakoff (Malakov kurgan), which played a pivotal role during the siege of Sevastopol during the Crimean War.
The community was formerly known as “Caney Creek” and “Mitchum Chapel”. An application for a named post office in 1854 under “Purdam” or “Mitcham” resulted in the current name, due to the other names being already in use.
Monday - Friday8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Closed 12 Noon - 1:00 PM for Lunch
At 7 p.m., The Henderson County Sheriff's Office stated they received a 911 call from a resident on FM 3273 in the Cross Roads area.
City of Malakoff Administrative Offices 109 Melton St. Malakoff, TX 75148 Tel: (903) 489-0699 Fax: (903) 489-2517
The purpose of the government of the City of Malakoff is to provide responsible leadership and the services and infrastructure necessary for a safe environment and high quality of life for our citizens